STRESS is a very scary word especially to people who have gone through it. It causes a surge of hormones in the body that causes the feeling of being under too much mental or emotional pressure. It may paralyze the daily functionality of a person depending on the seriousness of its symptoms. It is not an illness itself but can cause serious illness if it isn’t addressed.
Anxiety attack also known as panic attack, is one of the most common stress facing many people nowadays. It is episodes of intense panic or fear, mostly the fear of the uncertainties, future, etc.
Other than some physical discomforts, you know you are attacked when you have countless sleepless nights staying awake, thinking of your “Perceived Problems” that may not need your immediate attention or worse still, it may not happen. Somehow, you just feel that all these “problems” need to be addressed but have no solutions to them.
There may be some actual problems, worries or regrets that one is facing as the root cause to anxiety attack but the thought of it is magnified in a certain way. This is especially tough if one has a professional image to maintain.
How should you do to counter the attack in such circumstances so that you could continue to carry out your daily business as usual and regain your usual composure?
- The very least thing you have to do is to admit that you are attacked! This is not your fault but the chemicals produced in your brain are the culprits. The “Feel good” chemicals are no longer in control of your mind.
- Seeking professional advice from a psychiatrist or doctor is necessary if the situation is getting out of hand. Not that you need an advice but the assurance from an expert that this is short term and you are definitely getting out of it soon, mostly within 2 weeks.
- It is important to talk to someone or friends whom you trust about your problem. The more you share about it, the more you are aware that it is normal to be attacked. All your “Perceived Problems” will eventually become too minute to talk about.
- Sweat it out! Go and put on your “Nike” or whatever that makes you feel good on your feet and start working out on your trackmill. Running or jogging is the best exercise during a fight with anxiety attack. Make sure you use up your energy so that you sweat horribly because unused energy can become anxiety and create anxious thought. When you exercise, your body releases chemicals call Endorphins that trigger positive feeling.
- If you are physically unfit to exercise or have no one to talk to, turn to your religion and pray. This is not being superstitious but the action of praying and pouring out your problems will uplift you spiritually and psychologically.
- Put on a smile and say that you are alright! Nothing is so big deal that it can strike you down. If you have managed to come this far, nothing else can beat you down. There is no unsolvable problem but an unwilling heart. stand right up, put on a smile and continue your journey with full confidence! That’s you!
Therefore, don’t get stressed out for being stressed out. Keep reminding yourself that there is no problem but just an attack! Relax, pick-up your confidence and move on.
Article contributed by: Stella Foo of Lionsworld Business Centre Sdn Bhd